Thursday, April 3, 2014


It seems the older I get the more aware I am of how quickly time passes. Maybe it's because I recently spent a few days with my aging parents. Maybe it's due to all the social media and the exposure to countless pictures of my daughter's friends who are now grown and raising families of their own. When exactly did these kids who used to swim in my pool, slumber party at my house, roll my front yard—when did they grow up? Could it be that my own daughters are moms and I have this incredible privilege of watching them raise their own kids? Add to the evidence the wrinkles that I see on my face which also serve as a daily reminder. Gosh, there are days I simply wonder where time has gone.

How true it is that we each have only 24 hours in a day. From the time our feet hit the floor until the time we crawl (sometimes fall) into bed at night, our days are jam-packed with just living life. Whether you work in or outside of the home, whether you are a Mom/Dad with little ones, or a retired empty-nester, we all are guilty of letting the day get away from us. But what if today was our last day to live on this earth? The last day to touch those we love, to hear their voice, listen as they laugh? What if today was your last chance to live your life to the fullest, to experience something new, to take a chance, to step outside of the norm or what feels so comfortable for you? What if?

I confess that I am a routine person through and through. Even though I don't mind change, the truth is, I like things to stay the same. I like order. I like life best when it runs like a well-oiled wheel. I tend to function best when I'm doing what I know I'm good at, or better yet, what I'm comfortable at. After living through four years of consistent change, I'm not only adjusting more and more, I'm actually beginning to settle into it. I've learned (and yes, the hard way) that nothing stays the same in this life—nothing except God's extravagant love and His promises which are strong, steady and true.

So, friends . . . LET'S LIVE THIS DAY. The clock is ticking and if we're not careful, life will pass us by. Eleanor Roosevelt said it best: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why we call it "the present."

Let's take this gift of today and use it all up. If you can, change the routine a bit. Drive to work a different route and look for changes in scenery along the way. Take the time you would have used for self and offer it to someone else. Nothing on your to-do list is nearly as important as investing into another life. Laugh with others and at yourself today. Try a new food—reach out and make a new friend. Speak to the person behind you in line at Target. Turn on the radio, open the window or sunroof (for ultimate praising while driving) and sing to the top of your lungs. Be intentional with the hours you've been given today. Make some memories with someone, somehow, someway. And if we're given the gift of tomorrow, we'll look back on today with no regrets.

 
I do want to point out, friends, that time is of the essence.
1 Corinthians 7:29/The Message







No comments:

Post a Comment