Thursday, February 19, 2009

What I Love About Babies and Dogs ...


So, I was thinking earlier about what a slob I can be at times. As much as I don't like to think I'm lazy, there are areas of my life that most folks would shudder if they could see ... or if they knew. Take my refrigerator for example. I honestly don't think I've really cleaned it out in like over a year. I mean, I don't really keep food in there (sorry, Mike) so it's not like I'm continually shuffling things around. And then, there's the shower. When mold turns from black to pink ... we've got issues. My closet is a ram-sacked mess. My dog needs a bath and my roots are showing. The dust bunnies on the hardwood are the size of Texas and the garage hasn't been swept in months. Get the point?

But when my grandson, Rowe ... or my dog, Sarah are around -- they could care less. I so love that about them.

I absolutely love the fact that babies and dogs don't care when you haven't had a shower. They don't care if your breath stinks. They don't care if you sing out of tune and it makes absolutely zero difference to them if your house is clean or if your yard is mowed. That's what I love about babies and dogs. I love the fact that they love me ... just for me. They like that I talk to them in my alter-ego voice ... squeeky and all. They love it when I'm so excited to see them ... when I squeeze him tight or pet her head. I love it that no matter what kind of day I've had, they smile when I walk into the room and it makes everything okay. Somehow, that makes all the other things that I fret about seem way small.

When I'm with Rowe, he's content laying on the couch while I smooch all over him or talk silly with him. Sarah waits all day long for me to come home from work so I can take her for a walk. Those are such simple things and yet to babies and dogs ... they are everything!

This weekend, I plan to rest. Hold my grandbaby MUCH, walk my best girl, Sarah. Enjoy my family and friends, worship my Savior and just be thankful. I could spend these next couple of days cleaning things out and fixing myself up, but I think what I'd really like to do is just "be still and know that He is God."(Psalm 46:10)
That's what matters most.

Life is short, friends ... make it count.


No comments:

Post a Comment