Monday, May 31, 2010

The Way You Walk

There are not many days that go by when my feet don't find pavement. I love to walk. I mean, I really love to walk. I like to leisure walk. I like to power walk. I like to walk as a means of getting from one place to the next. I like to walk as a method of keeping this heart in good condition. For decades I have walked. Today's walk wasn't much different from any other day ... except for the man that we met along the way.

As we came along side of him about to pass, he looked at us and said, "May I ask you a question?" Which, in and of itself, could be a loaded opportunity, but what the heck, right? Now don't judge, but in my mind I was thinking, "You better ask fast because I'm not about to slow this pace down." (big smile) So, he proceeded to ask us if we were Followers of Jesus Christ. Then, he began to tell us about the way someone walks. And how their shoes fit. THEN ... he said, "I don't know where you are at, but for one ... maybe both of you, the Lord is going to require that you walk different. The way you've been putting your shoe on and the way it fits is about to change." Okay, so NOW he has my attention. My mind began to journey down the past year of my life ... all the changes. I even flashed forward to the very near future and more changes that are headed my way. I thought, "Is this man God's messenger? Is he trying to tell me something? Is he affirming the road I'm on and the fact that change has been the theme of my life lately and to hold on tight because the road is taking me even further down the journey of transition? What does all this mean?"

I am surely a creature of habit. I'm a girl who functions best on a schedule. I like to know what's coming and when it's going. Calendars are my friend. Planners are my companion. As I've thought about this mystery man and the whole walking thing, I realized that I put my shoes on the same way, day after day. I believe the Lord used this man to remind me that life is all about change and that not much really stays the same. So, for me ... it's not about how I put on my shoes and it's really not about change. It's about how I walk. Because no matter what ... I will always walk. No matter where I live or where I worship. No matter if my kids are near or far. No matter where I serve. No matter what.

I will walk in and out of change. I will walk in the good, the bad, and the ugly. I will walk when I feel like it ... and when I don't. I will keep putting one foot in front of the other and walk. And as I do, my resolve is this:

"Love the LORD [Covenant Maker/Promise Keeper God], to walk in all His ways, to obey His commands, to hold fast to Him and to serve Him with all your heart and all your soul." (Joshua 22:5)

There really is something to be said about the way you walk.








No comments:

Post a Comment