Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Girls, Girls, Girls ...

One of my favorite authors penned a powerful book a few years ago titled Big Girls Don't Whine. It's not one of those "make you feel good" kind of books but it certainly packs a punch on what little girl behavior looks like in the lives of what should be grown up girls. We can never assume that because someone is aging [in years] that they are maturing. The two should go hand in hand—but unfortunately, that's not always the case.

In case you aren't sure [code for self-evaluation time] if you might be tipping the scale toward little girl behavior, here's a few clues:

1) You get mad, pout or get your feelings hurt if you weren't included in everything that everyone is doing. Not even realistic, but yet ... it fits you to a "t."

2) You think that the world functions on your time schedule and that life really is all about you.

3) Your expectations of people are so unrealistic that no matter how hard they might try, it's just never good enough.

4) You twist the truth, manipulate (including people) circumstances or attempt to control the situation.

5) Did I mention that you MUST be in control? No one else can do it right, anyway.

6) Everyone fails you.

7) You do whatever it takes to get attention—and if folks do not respond to your pettiness or whining, you turn it around and make them out to be the bad guy.

8) You need everyone to like you. So, in your effort to be "all things to all people" you tell them what you think they want to hear. Even if it means lying or "stretching the truth" just a bit.

The Apostle Paul says it best: "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." - 1 Cor. 13:11

I want to be a bonafide big girl, don't you? No little girl games. No little girl behavior. Grown-up, godly, gracious, fun-loving, living life and honoring God kind of big girl.

1 comment:

  1. Love. This. Post.

    Do I have to be a girl for these to apply? If so, I'm in trouble.

    ReplyDelete