Sunday, January 11, 2009

What's Your Sign?

After church, Mike and I headed to Chattanooga to run a couple of errands. As we came down White Oak Mountain toward Ooltewah, there were folks in the median cleaning up trash. Most of them wore the typical neon orange vest, no doubt it's a safety thing and they can be easily spotted. Mike said they were folks doing community time for one thing or another. What I saw next, has been churning around in my spirit for the past few hours. Several of them had on a neon green vest, and on their back it read, "I AM A DRUNK DRIVER."

It got real quiet in the car. After a few minutes, I said, "I am so glad that everything I've ever been ... or done ... isn't printed in bold letters on my back for everyone to see."

Now don't get me wrong. I think those who break the law should be punished. I think there is a price to be paid for crossing the line - especially where someone else's safety is concerned. I am begging folks to not leave nasty comments on my blog on how these citizens deserved it and have that and more coming to them.

For just a few minutes I want you to think ... like I have, about life. If I were to list all the stupid, idiotic things I've done in my life, there wouldn't be enough room here. If I had to make a list of some of the choices I have made that not only hurt me, but hurt someone else ... I'd be more than ashamed of myself all over again. Each one of us, if we were to "wear" the sins we had committed against God or someone else, we might be wearing all kinds of labels.
"I AM A MURDERER." (maybe not physically, but with words ... thoughts that kill)
"I AM A CHEATER."
"I AM A LIAR."
"I AM AN ADULTERER."
"I AM A NEGATIVE COMPLAINER."
"I AM A BETRAYER."
"I AM A THIEF."
"I AM A ..."

This list truly does go on and on.

So, what's my point? I am reflecting today and challenge you to do the same about the grace of God that covers our sin. For those who have accepted Christ's gift of salvation and are living in a personal relationship with Him, what you wear on your back is this: "FORGIVEN." Maybe your vest says, "PAID FOR." I'd like mine to read, "FREE IN CHRIST."

Aren't you so thankful that the penalty for every wrong you've done, every poor choice you've made, every blatant sin you have or will commit ... all of it, has been covered by the blood of Jesus Christ? GLORY!

"Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man (or woman) whose sin the Lord will never count against him."
(Romans 4:7-8)


As God's children, you and I may make some crazy stupid choices that will leave us wearing a neon vest and picking up trash in the median. I hope not. Oh, but the good news is, as God's child, your life ... past, present and future, is being held tightly in His grip. Your transgressions are forgiven. Your sins are covered. What is written on your back was penned by the nail-pierced hand of our Savior.

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained throug the law, Christ died for nothing." (Galatians 2:20-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment