Wednesday, January 7, 2009

God's Covenant of Peace

I've been awake for a long time. You know how it is when your eyes open wide and hard as you try by keeping them closed, sleep just won't come. The brain is a complicated thing. Even though the body is tired, sometimes the brain just won't rest. It can't shut down. If your life is anything like mine, there is much going on. You're busy with the day to day demands. There's work. There's family. Then there's the things that trouble you ... weigh heavy on you. Maybe things you are wrestling through. Jesus Himself said, "I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble [issues, tough circumstances, trials, burdens]. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

The peace of God. Four days of rain can't wash it away. Headaches and hassles won't overshadow it. Tough situations can't remove it. Difficult people can't squash it. Painful circumstances ... times of fear and doubt won't wipe it out. So, as I've been sitting here, there is one Truth which God has brought to mind that has brought my restless soul a tremendous amount of comfort:

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)


In the same way Christ spoke peace over the wind and waves (Mark 4:41), He speaks peace over our hearts and lives with His unfailing love and compassion. Doesn't that bring you tremendous comfort today? Even if you're not in a hard place - God's unfailing love will NOT be shaken nor will His covenant [binding promise/vow never to be broken] of peace with His kids ever be removed.

Even though I can't sleep ... I choose to REST knowing that God's got my life wrapped tightly in His grip. And yes, my mind is traveling at break neck speed ... but my soul finds great comfort in knowing and believing that His love, peace and compassion for my life will never change ... will always stay the same.

One of my most favorite sayings is, "Where there is peace, God is."

That, friends, gives me great rest for my heart, mind and soul. Maybe tonight, it will give me sleep for this tired body!

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD [Covenant Maker/Promise Keeper God] make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8) Listen to The Message's translation of this promise: At day's end I'm ready for sound sleep, For you, God, have put my life back together.

Oh! What a Savior, gracious to all. Oh! How His blessings round us fall. Gently to comfort, kindly to cheer - sleeping or waking, God is near. (Fanny Crosby)

1 comment:

  1. Rhonda, I have found great comfort in Isaiah 26:3, "I will give thee perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee; for he trusts in Me." Also, the old hymn, "Tis So Sweet". Both song and scripture have certanily given me strength in uncertain times and personal circumstances that I have journeyed the past couple of years. We press on one day at a time!

    ReplyDelete